Cue the trumpets. I present to you an upgrade of the original Magic 3-2-1 Cake; 3-2-1 Molten Lava Cake! Rich, creamy, melted chocolate nestled in an individual chocolate cake that bakes in one minute in the microwave. The ultimate in instant gratification.
When I posted the directions for the original 3-2-1 Cake, I never anticipated the overwhelming enthusiastic response. It turns out that lots of people are looking for recipes that are fast, fun, and easy. 3-2-1 cake is a perfect care package treat for anyone with a sweet tooth and access to a microwave, in other words, most college students and many military. The Molten Lava upgrade caters to the chocoholic. It looks and tastes fancy enough for company!
The magic mix for 3-2-1 Molten Lava Cake is one box of angel food cake mix combined with one box of chocolate cake mix. To make an individual cake, mix three tablespoons of cake mix and two tablespoons of water in a mug, then press three chocolates into the batter. One minute in the microwave and you have chocolate bliss. That’s it!
I tried two different methods for placing the chocolate squares into the batter. Pressing the chocolate down the center, one piece on top of the other, produces a column of melted chocolate down the center of the cake, which I think is perfect. It also leaves a crater of molten chocolate on the top of the cake. If you would prefer a crater-less cake, gently lay the chocolate onto the surface of the batter, overlapping as little as possible. The cake rises up and over the chocolate while baking. There is a pocket of melted chocolate toward the top of the cake in this version and a cake covering.
For care package use, pour the two cake mixes into a gallon-size zip lock bag labeled with directions, add a bag of chocolates, a measuring spoon and a can of non-stick spray. For a special touch, include a mug and spoon.
Makes about 48 mugs of cake
1 box Angel Food Cake mix
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used devil’s food.)
Chocolate squares (3 per mug) (I used Dove Promises and Hershey’s Bliss)
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, combine the two boxes of cake mix. Shake the bag to mix thoroughly.
- Lightly coat the inside of a microwaveable mug with non-stick spray. (Without the spray the cake will not transfer out of the mug.)
- (Here comes the 3-2-1 part) Into the prepared mug, stir together 3 tablespoons of cake mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Push three chocolate squares, one on top of the other, into the center of the batter. The cake will rise around the chocolate pile, so don’t worry if some of the chocolate is not submerged.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- The cake can be eaten right out of the mug. If you want to transfer the cake onto a plate, run a knife around the edge between the cake and the mug to loosen, then dump out onto a plate.
Packing tips: Combine the two cake mixes into a labeled gallon-size ziplock bag. Include a measuring spoon, bag of chocolates and a can of non-stick spray. Write out directions on an index card or directly on the ziplock bag. For a special touch, include a mug and spoon.
If you enjoy this 3-2-1 cake, you might also enjoy 3-2-1 Caramel Apple Cake!