Is there someone in your life who could use a care package of warm holiday flavors? Perhaps that someone is a college student studying for final exams or a soldier far from home. Maybe that hassled, harried person caught up in holiday crazies and in need of an instantaneous sweet fix, is you.
Anyone with access to a microwave can experience the spicy aromas and sweet flavors of the season in 1 microwave minute with 3-2-1 Gingerbread Cake with Crystallized Ginger and Caramel Sauce. This gingerbread/spice cake version of 3-2-1 mug cake is made with the magic mixture of one box of spice or gingerbread cake mix plus one box of angel food cake mix. Three tablespoons of this cake mixture is combined with two tablespoons of water. Toss in a sprinkling of crystallized ginger bits for extra spicy zing. No patience is required. After one minute in the microwave, drizzle with caramel sauce and indulge.
I experimented making 3-2-1 Gingerbread Cake with spice cake mix and with gingerbread cake mix. The flavor results were very similar, though the spice cake texture was a little lighter. The gingerbread tasted a bit more like ginger. The spice cake tasted a bit more like clove. By adding the crunchy, crystallized ginger, the taste of either mix is definitely gingerbread. Drizzling caramel sauce on top after cooking, provides a creamy sweet finish.
3-2-1 Gingerbread Cake can be eaten right from the mug or paper cup it is cooked in, or turned out onto a plate and decorated for an impressive presentation! If cooking in a mug, spraying with cooking spray before adding the ingredients makes removing the cake possible and clean-up much easier. Please note that aerosol cans are not allowed in international care packages. To mail internationally and/or for no clean-up, I highly recommend adding microwave safe paper cups to your military or college care packages.
Makes about 48 mugs of cake
1 box Angel Food Cake mix
1 box spice cake or gingerbread cake mix
Non-stick spray (not for international mailing)
Crystallized ginger (about 1 teaspoon per mug to taste)
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, combine the two boxes of cake mix. Shake the bag to mix thoroughly.
- If using a microwaveable mug, lightly coat the inside with non-stick spray (without the spray the cake will not transfer out of the mug.) or use a microwave safe paper cup.
- (Here comes the 3-2-1 part) In the prepared mug or paper cup, stir together 3 tablespoons of cake mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir in the crystallized ginger.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- The cake can be eaten right out of the mug/paper cup. If you want to transfer the cake onto a plate, run a knife around the edge between the cake and the mug to loosen, then dump out onto a plate. Drizzle caramel syrup over the cake.
Packing tips: Combine the two cake mixes into a gallon-size ziplock bag labeled with directions. Include a measuring spoon, bag/spice jar of crystallized ginger, caramel sauce and a can of non-stick spray or microwave safe paper cups. For a special touch, include holiday sprinkles.
If you enjoy this 3-2-1 cake, you might also enjoy: