Piña Colada Mug Cake is amazing. Every spoonful of this moist, fluffy mug cake is full of coconut and pineapple flavor. Best of all, it cooks in the microwave in just one minute!
Why you'll love this recipe
This is a cup of instant sunshine in the form of a Piña Colada Mug Cake. Imagine fluffy vanilla cake speckled with shredded coconut and juicy bits of pineapple.
Topped with generous drizzles of sweet coconut cream and more sweet coconut, this instant dessert is a tropical treat that can be ready to eat in 1 microwave minute!
Quickly and easily mix up your own mug of sunshine or share the ingredients and recipe in your next care package !
- The magic mug cake mixture is made with one box of vanilla cake mix plus one box of angel food cake mix.
- Coconut cream, in cans or plastic bottles, can be found in the baking aisle or sometimes in the liquor aisle with ingredients for mixed drinks.I prefer the bottle for care packages because the bottle can be easily opened and then closed for storage.
- Lightly coat the inside of a microwaveable mug with cooking spray or use a disposable microwave safe paper cup.
- In the mug, stir together 3 tablespoons of cake mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix in a tablespoon of coconut and a tablespoon of pineapple.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with a little coconut, a few bits of pineapple, and a generous drizzle of coconut cream/syrup. Eat right out of the mug or transfer the cake onto a plate.
Microwave cakes should be enjoyed when cool enough to eat. The texture changes as they cool and are best eaten warm.
- Plain microwaved cake can taste like a sponge. Adding syrup, or in this case adding coconut cream, moistens the cake and eliminates the spongy texture.
- For care package use, pour the two cake mixes into a gallon-size zip lock bag labeled with directions, add a bag of sweetened shredded coconut, a few small cans of pineapple tidbits, a measuring spoon and a package of microwave safe paper cups or a can of non-stick spray.
- Please note that aerosol cans are not allowed in international care packages. To mail internationally and/or for no clean-up, I highly recommend adding microwave safe paper cups to your military or college care packages.
- Microwave cakes CAN be made with gluten-free cake mix. The angel food cake mix is not necessary.
More microwave mug cakes
Make this mug cake recipe for fast, easy, and delicious cake in a mug from cake mix!
Looking for more ways to enjoy coconut? Coconut Snowball Mug Cakes combine marshmallow cream with coconut for chewy deliciousness!
Pineapple Upside Down Mug Cake looks and tastes like the oven baked version! There is even a cherry on top!
Microwave Peach Cobbler has all of the summery flavor you're craving in an individual serving ready in one minute!
You will find dozens of Mug Cake recipes in The Monday Box recipe index.
Piña Colada Mug Cake
- 1 box Angel Food Cake mix
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Non-stick spray if not using disposable cups
- 24 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut (1 bag)
- 1 can pineapple tidbits packed in pineapple juice, drained
- 1 bottle coconut cream or coconut syrup
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, combine the two boxes of cake mix. Shake the bag to mix thoroughly.
- Lightly coat the inside of a microwaveable mug with non-stick spray or use a disposable microwave safe paper cup. (Without the spray the cake will not transfer out of the mug and the mug is harder to clean.)
- (Here comes the 3-2-1 part) Into the prepared mug, stir together 3 tablespoons of cake mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix in a tablespoon of coconut and a tablespoon of pineapple.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with a little coconut, a few bits of pineapple, and a generous drizzle of coconut cream/syrup. Then eat it right out of the mug. If you want to transfer the cake onto a plate, run a knife around the edge between the cake and the mug to loosen, dump out onto a plate, then add the coconut, pineapple, and coconut cream/syrup.
- Combine the two cake mixes into a labeled gallon-size ziplock bag.
- Include a measuring spoon, a bag of sweetened shredded coconut, a can of pineapple tidbits packed in juice, and a can/bottle of coconut cream/syrup.
- If the care package is international, include microwave safe paper cups.
- If the care package is domestic, add either a can of non-stick spray (for use with a ceramic mug) or microwave safe paper cups.
First Published: March 28, 2014. Last Updated: July 3, 2022. Updated for additional information and better reader experience.