Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies are ideal to have on hand for times when you need chocolate in your life, the more chocolaty the better. Rich and chewy, these cookies are sure to satisfy all chocolate cravings.
I’ve spent the past 4 days in Chicago, helping my son and his girlfriend move into a new apartment. I provided only a tiny bit of assistance with the actual moving, but my car was helpful for transporting breakables, and for runs to Target for heavy new items. Moving is not fun, even if you are delighted with the place you are moving to. It is exhausting packing everything up, only to reverse the whole process once you get where you are going, and unpacking it all to put away. Moving is definitely an activity that improves when chocolate is consumed.
I arrived in Chicago with a cooler containing a variety of international chocolate bars from my recent trip to Bosnia (with plane changes and chocolate purchases in Switzerland and Austria) and several bags of frozen cookie dough balls for fresh baked cookies as needed. Some of the dough balls were my son’s favorite chocolate chip cookie. The others were dark chocolaty balls of Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies. A cooler full of comfort.
Recipes for brownie-like cookies often catch my eye. The idea of a cookie with the flavor and chew of a brownie is very appealing. I began to wonder if I could use my favorite desert-safe care package brownie recipe to make cookies. The answer turned out to be a definite yes. Not only can you make cookies with this dough, but you should make cookies with this dough! The batter is very thick, almost dough consistency, and required no ingredient changes to create this thick, fudgy cookie. I recommend mailing Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies without frosting, but for those eating Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies at home, adding creamy, dark chocolate frosting is an option worth considering.
Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies (without frosting) are a great way to send chocolate to the desert in military care packages, even in crazy high temperatures. Usually chocolate doesn’t travel well in warm weather. Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies make it possible to delight chocoholics even in the summer. The desert safe ingredients in this recipe create a cookie that travels well all year. Stored in an airtight container, Ultimate Fudge Brownie Cookies stay chewy for at least 2 weeks.
- 1 ½ all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special for darker color and richer taste)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ⅔ cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated (white) sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Frosting (optional):
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and espresso powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the shortening, sugar, and eggs. Beat until light in color and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, until combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter with a medium (2 tablespoon) scoop onto the prepared pan, 2” apart. The dough will be softer than most cookie dough and a bit sticky.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, just until the surface is shiny and set. The inside cracks will still look wet.
- Cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting: Melt the unsweetened baking chocolate and butter in the microwave.
- Beat the melted chocolate and butter with the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the frosting onto the brownie cookies and allow to set before storing.
- Store plain brownie cookies at room temperature in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 2 weeks. Frosted brownie cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days or refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Craving more chocolate? Indulge your sweet tooth here!