Cue the trumpets. I present to you 3-2-1 Molten Lava Mug Cake, an upgrade of the original Magic 3-2-1 Cake! Rich, creamy, melted chocolate nestled in an individual chocolate cake that bakes in one minute in the microwave. The ultimate in instant gratification.
When I posted the directions for the original 3-2-1 Cake, I never anticipated the overwhelming enthusiastic response. It turns out that lots of people are looking for recipes that are fast, fun, and easy.
3-2-1 microwave mug cake is a perfect care package treat for anyone with a sweet tooth and access to a microwave, in other words, most college students and many military. The 3-2-1 Molten Lava Mug Cake upgrade caters to the chocoholic. It looks and tastes fancy enough for company!
The magic mix for 3-2-1 Molten Lava Mug Cake is one box of angel food cake mix combined with one box of chocolate cake mix. To make an individual cake, mix three tablespoons of cake mix and two tablespoons of water in a mug, then press three chocolates into the batter. One minute in the microwave and you have chocolate bliss. That’s it!
I tried two different methods for placing the chocolate squares into the batter. Pressing the chocolate down the center, one piece on top of the other, produces a column of melted chocolate down the center of the cake, which I think is perfect. It also leaves a crater of molten chocolate on the top of the cake.
If you would prefer a crater-less cake, gently lay the chocolate onto the surface of the batter, overlapping as little as possible. The cake rises up and over the chocolate while baking. There is a pocket of melted chocolate toward the top of the cake in this version and a cake covering.
For care package use, pour the two cake mixes into a gallon-size zip lock bag labeled with directions, add a bag of chocolates, a measuring spoon and a can of non-stick spray. For a special touch, include a mug and spoon.
PLEASE NOTE: Aerosol cans can not be used for international air shipping (such as military care packages). I suggest including disposable microwave safe paper cups instead. These can be purchased at Dollar stores, Target, and party supply stores.
- 1 box Angel Food Cake mix
- 1 box chocolate cake mix I used devil’s food.
- Non-stick spray or disposable microwave safe paper cups
- Chocolate squares 3 per mug (I used Dove Promises and Hershey’s Bliss)
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, combine the two boxes of cake mix. Shake the bag to mix thoroughly.
- If using a mug,lightly coat the inside of a microwaveable mug with non-stick spray. (Without the spray the cake will not transfer out of the mug.) Paper cups do not need coating.
- (Here comes the 3-2-1 part) Into the prepared mug or paper cup, stir together 3 tablespoons of cake mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Push three chocolate squares, one on top of the other, into the center of the batter. The cake will rise around the chocolate pile, so don’t worry if some of the chocolate is not submerged.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- The cake can be eaten right out of the mug/paper cup. If you want to transfer the cake onto a plate, run a knife around the edge between the cake and the mug to loosen, then dump out onto a plate.
Don’t miss these treats you are sure to love! Click on the photo for the recipe!
What amazing 3-2-1 microwave mug cake will you make next?! Happiness in 1 microwave minute!