This isn’t really a recipe. It’s directions for magic. There is a time and a place for cake mixes. And this is one of them. When the directions for this magic formula appeared in the food section of our newspaper, I had to give it a try. It is just too perfect a care package treat for anyone with a sweet tooth and access to a microwave, in other words, most college students and many military.
If you are like me, you will read this “recipe” and say, “No way. This can’t work. And if it works, it can’t taste any good.” So go ahead and make yourself a mug of 3-2-1 cake before you send the rest of the ingredients off in a care package. It does work and it tastes like a normal cake mix cupcake. Magic.
The 3-2-1 in the name comes from the proportions of ingredients used. All that is needed is one box of angel food cake mix combined with one box of any other flavor of cake mix and water. Three tablespoons of cake mix and two tablespoons of water are mixed in a mug, then microwaved for one minute. That’s all!
For my Monday Box, I poured the two cake mixes into a labeled gallon-size zip lock bag, added a measuring spoon and a can of non-stick spray, and wrote out directions on an index card. For a special touch, include a mug and spoon, and some add-ins too. If your care package recipient has a need for extra sugar, feel free to add a can of frosting (disgusting stuff but most college students don’t seem to notice).
If this idea gets you thinking about mug cakes and you are looking for some recipes of the non-magic but delicious variety, take a look at the Apple Speculoos Mugcake or the Pink Velvet Mugcake my friend, Sarah, creates at Easy Bakery. The blog is in French but it works well with Google translate and Sarah is always happy to translate recipes into English, which is lucky because my French is less than basic.
Makes about 48 mugs of cake
1 box Angel Food Cake mix
1 box Cake mix (flavor of your choice)
1 can Frosting (optional)
Add-ins (optional) such as chocolate chips, coconut, candy bars, nuts, sprinkles
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, combine the two boxes of cake mix. Shake the bag to mix thoroughly.
- Lightly coat the inside of a microwaveable mug with non-stick spray. (The spray is not required but it sure makes clean-up easier. Without it, the mug will need to be soaked to loosen zapped on cake crust)
- (Here comes the 3-2-1 part) Into the mug, add 3 tablespoons of cake mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Throw in 1-2 tablespoons of add-ins, if using. Stir to combine.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- If using frosting, now is the time to add a dollop. Eat right out of the mug with a spoon or pop the little cake out of the mug and take a bite.
Packing tips: Combine the two cake mixes in a labeled gallon-size zip lock bag. Include a measuring spoon and a can of non-stick spray. Write out directions on an index card. For a special touch, include a mug and spoon, and some add-ins too. If your care package recipient has a need for extra sugar, feel free to add a can of frosting.