Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are an old-fashioned treat that never goes out of style! Just like the big, crunchy cookies so popular at bakeries, these treats are sure to become home baked favorites. Whatever the occasion, Sprinkle Sugar Cookies show off in festive colors. Nothing says “celebration” better than a cookie covered in sprinkles.
There used to be two Jewish bakeries in St. Louis that specialized in Jewish holiday baked goods, as well as regular bakery items like Danish, cookies, babka, and birthday cakes. Sadly, after many decades of business, both of the bakeries closed. But when my now adult daughter was a toddler, we would make a special trip to Petrofsky’s Bakery every Friday afternoon to buy our challah (braided egg bread), traditional for the Friday night Sabbath meal. With her big blue eyes and friendly smile, my daughter became a favorite of the grandmotherly ladies behind the counter. Every single week, they brought my daughter behind the display case and asked her to point to her favorite colors of sprinkle sugar cookies. The ladies filled an entire bag with big, crunchy cookies, as a gift for my daughter. To this day, I have a nostalgic fondness for bakery sugar cookies.
My first bite of these Sprinkle Sugar Cookies immediately triggered sweet memories of Petrofsky’s cookies. Coated in nonpareil sprinkles, these cookies are deliciously crunchy inside and out. The recipe calls for creaming the sugar and butter until very light and fluffy, which gives the cookies a light, airy texture. Using holiday colored sprinkles makes Sprinkle Sugar Cookies perfect for any celebration.
My adopted sailor’s birthday is in a few weeks. Instead of spending her day with family, she is spending her birthday in the middle of an ocean, serving our country. I wanted to help her enjoy her birthday far from home, so I packed her a celebration-in-a-box (or two)! One birthday box was filled with everything needed to make and decorate 3-2-1 magic mug cake. (Details of that box in my next post.) The second box was filled with birthday treats, including Sprinkle Sugar Cookies coated with a celebratory rainbow of multi-colored sprinkles.
I love using sprinkles. There is something almost magical about the smile inducing quality of sprinkled cookies. I highly recommend baking and sharing some smiles with Sprinkle Sugar Cookies. They are a celebration in every bite.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup nonpareil sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at least 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually, add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Use a medium (2 tablespoon) scoop to portion the dough. Roll each dough portion into a ball and roll in nonpareil sprinkles to coat. Place 2 in. apart on prepared baking sheet. Flatten cookies slightly with palm of hand.
- Bake 14-16 minutes. The cookies will not brown, but the centers of cookies should be semi-firm to the touch. Remove from the oven.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
For more sprinkle cookie recipes , 25 Cookies with Sugar and Sprinkles includes lots of colorful ideas!