Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are an easy way to make soft,chewy cookies in bar form. Lots of the brown sugar and chocolate flavor in a moist cookie bar that stays delicious for over a week.
Why you'll love this recipe
These easy chocolate chip bars are a simple treat to throw together in one bowl, no electric mixer required. All of the flavor of your favorite chewy chocolate chip cookies with the convenience of bars.
Not only are these treats deliciously chewy when you bake them, but they stay that way for up to 10 days! The secret to their long lasting chewiness is the marshmallows which melt completely during baking leaving only chewy texture behind.
Chocolate chip cookie bars are the perfect treat for care packages or for a whole week of lunch box snacks. For mailing times more than 10 days, leaving the bars uncut will help them retain moisture and remain chewy even longer.
This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Stir together all of the ingredients.
- Spread the cookie dough batter evenly with a rubber spatula into a lightly greased 8" x 8" square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown.
Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 10 days.
Mailing these bars uncut in a disposable pan will keep them moist and chewy longer and make them sturdier for shipping.
Tips and variations
- This recipe can be made in a square 8 inch or 9 inch pan. Using the smaller pan will make a slightly thicker bar and may take a few minutes longer to bake.
- Dark brown sugar provides more flavor than light brown sugar, but either one can be used in this recipe.
- Vary the kind of chocolate chips in the classic recipe using dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
- Make m&m cookie bars by substituting m&m's for the toffee bits.
- Substitute your favorite nuts instead of the toffee bits.
- For best results, use regular marshmallows. Vegan marshmallows melt differently, puffing while baking which leaves air pockets in the finished bars.
More chocolate chip treats
Chocolate Chip Biscotti are light, crisp cookies perfect for dunking in coffee,tea, or a cold glass of milk. This will be your go-to recipe for filling the cookie jar.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars are soft, chewy cookie bars that taste like a peanut butter cup! This delicious recipe is so much easier than making individual cookies.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, pillowy pumpkin cookies with the added deliciousness of chocolate chips. The easy recipe includes a gluten free version too.
Chocolate Coconut Cookies are soft and chewy treats that will remind you of a Mounds candy bar.
Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies are quick and easy to make. These thick, delicious cookies can be baked soft and chewy or bake a little longer and they are crunchy.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup toffee bits
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 8” x 8” or 9”x 9” baking pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Mix the sugar, salt, and vanilla into the melted butter.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Fold in toffee, semi-sweet chips, and mini marshmallows.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 10 days.
First Published: January 12, 2014. Last Updated: March 4, 2023. Updated for improved photos, additional information and better reader experience.