When my son receives a Monday Box, his assigned task, as he happily munches, is to critique the contents. Along with tried and true favorites, I often send him cookies that I consider to be a works-in-progress. These are cookies that meet my deliciousness and care package worthy standards, but are missing a yet to be defined something. I don’t know what most moms talk to their 21 year old sons about on the phone, but as my son walks through campus, going to or coming from class, we often talk about cookies. That is what happened with these Chocolate Coconut Bliss Cookies.
I found a recipe for a wonderful fudgy chocolate cookie on Bake or Break. I mailed a batch to Chicago. I was pondering how to add my personal spin to the recipe. My son suggested coconut. I didn’t know that he liked coconut. His likes have expanded exponentially since he went to college and I can’t always keep up. His idea was brilliant or at the very least really delicious. The addition of coconut to the already intensely chocolate cookie makes a candy-cookie hybrid. Think Mounds candy bar in cookie form. One bite of Chocolate Coconut Bliss Cookies and you are in an ultra-chocolaty, chewy coconut state of happiness.
I questioned my son’s suggestion of adding coconut on top. When I protested that the coconut would brown on top, he asked if that was a bad thing. It’s not. The coconut browns but doesn’t burn. It both looks good and tastes good.
Our collaboration Chocolate Coconut Bliss Cookies were shipped to Chicago the following week. Usually St. Louis to Chicago takes one day. Due to a series of UPS foul-ups, we unwittingly discovered that the cookies last quite well (no melting and still chewy), even in summer heat, for up to 5 days. Though not long lasting enough for a long distance military care package, these cookies fit the criteria for shorter distance care package goodies.
A note about coconut. Chocolate Coconut Bliss Cookies are very sweet. You don’t need to use sweetened coconut, however, the cookies with sweetened coconut stayed chewy just a wee bit longer than the cookies with unsweetened coconut due to the moisture in the sweetener.
Chocolate Coconut Bliss Cookies
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped into chunks
- ¼ cup butter unsalted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- ½ cup plus ½ cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened, packed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat chopped chocolate and butter in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until just melted.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Mix in melted chocolate.
- Add in flour mixture until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and ½ cup shredded coconut.
- Using a large cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons, scoop cookies onto prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Gently press a pinch of coconut onto the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will have a shiny crackled surface.
- Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Double wrap pairs of cookies (with bottoms together) in plastic wrap, then place in an airtight container or zip lock bag.
These treats are sure to provide additional coconut bliss! Click on the photo for the recipe!
Never miss a new delicious recipe! Sign up to receive email updates from The Monday Box and bake some love today!