A Christmas Care Package with a Santa Claus theme is a great way to send smiles, joy and a merry Christmas to anyone far from home this holiday season. Filled with sweet treats and decorations, this box is the perfect gift for family members, friends, or as a military care package.
Why you'll love this care package theme
- Using wrapping paper to decorate the box flaps is quick, easy, and festive.
- A themed care package makes it easier to figure out what to send.
- Lots of inexpensive holiday decorations can be found at dollar stores.
- No one is too old for the Christmas magic that Santa Claus symbolizes.
Sending a box filled with Christmas cheer is fun and easy. Share the sights, smells, and flavors of home with loved ones who can't be home for the holidays.
A decorated care package is like wrapping a present inside out! The inside flaps of the box are covered with wrapping paper that can be embellished with pompoms, googly eyes, and stickers.
- Cut the wrapping paper to the measurements of the box flaps. Glue the wrapping paper to the box flaps.
- Cover the box flaps with clear packing tape.
- Glue on embellishments like google eyes or pompoms.
- Fill the box with treats, activities, and gifts.
Care package contents
- Activities to occupy the mind and use creativity are a great way to lift spirits. Puzzle books, craft kits, and coloring pages are easy to pack.
- Fill a stocking with small wrapped holiday gifts. The fun is in the surprise of unwrapping. If you are sending this box to a friend or family add a few of their favorite things.This is a dollar store stocking filled with candy, cozy socks and hat, a gift card, and hand warmers.
- Candy and cookies are always a hit. Send homemade goodies or packaged treats like Rice Krispies treats, Slim Jim jerky, and corn nuts.
- Decorations make a home away from home more festive even when there is no room for a Christmas tree. Smaller sized decorations are perfect for dorm rooms and deployed military housing.
Tips and variations
- Wrapping paper comes in so many different designs. You can embelish the design with pompoms and googly eyes or leave it plain. For military care packages use only paper without glitter.
- Other inexpensive materials that are a great way box flaps include scrap book paper, construction paper, contact paper, and plastic party tablecloths. All of these can be found at dollar stores.
- The best way to help keep the contents intact while shipping is to be sure theere is no movement in the box. Before sealing the box, close the flaps and shake the package. If there is any movement inside, use colorful tissue papers or other packing material to fill any unused space. Christmas garland makes great filler!
- Especially for military care packages, use more packing tape than you think is necessary! Packing tape helps the box hold together despite rough handling. It also keeps sand out in dessert locations.
Recipes for a Christmas care package
You make the Christmas holidays special when you send favorite snacks like Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Nonpareil Candies are a nostalgic holiday treat for many people. These little chocolate buttons can be covered in any color of sprinkles.
Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies are a delicious cookie any time of year. Drizzled in red and green, they are the perfect Christmas cookie.
Swirls of chocolate filling inside a crunchy, pastry-like dough make Chocolate Rugelach a show stopper on any cookie platter.
Soft, chewy and bursting with almond flavor, Marzipan Cookies are a European Christmas tradition.
Secret Kiss Cookies are soft, cake-like chocolate cookies with a hidden chocolate candy inside! Use colored sprinkles to match any holiday.
The whole family will enjoy making and eating these adorable Christmas Pretzels. So easy, quick, and fun!
More Christmas care package themes
Discover everything green and Grinchy in this Ultimate Grinch Care Package Guide filled with great ideas for a fun Christmas gift for a college student or service member.
Fans of wooden soldiers or the beloved Christmas ballet will love this care package idea with a Nutcracker Care Package theme.
Send an Elf on the Shelf Care Package to the little elves and big elves on your list and there is sure to be mischief that follows!
Thoughts of snow and winter inspire this cozy Snowman Care Package. This theme makes great college care packages all winter.
A Penguins and Polar Bears themed care package is sure to be fun and is the perfect way to cause lots of smiles.
Ready to create? Join the free membership group to get new care package ideas, recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox! You can also stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. I’d love to stay in touch!
Christmas Care Package (Santa Theme)
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 scissors
- wrapping paper
- 1 large USPS flat rate box
- 1 heavy duty glue stick
- mini white pompoms
- googly eyes
- 1 roll clear packing tape
- Cut the wrapping paper into 4 rectangles (6" x 11 ¾") ,to fit the box flaps.
- Glue the wrapping paper rectangles to the box flaps.
- Cover the flaps with clear packing tape to hold the paper in place. This also helps prevent heat and water damage in transit.
- Glue googly eyes and pompoms onto the flaps.
- Fill the box. Be sure there is no movement in the carton before sealing.
- Large flat rate boxes from the United States post office are expensive to mail (shipping rates are about $20), however you can fit quite a bit inside and don’t have to worry about weight (up to 50 pounds). The cartons are free, can be ordered online, and the postal service will deliver them to your door.
- In addition to the wrapping paper used on this box, other flap covering materials include construction paper, scrap book paper, contact paper, patterned duct tape, or plastic table cloths.
- When mailing a short distances, taping over the flap decorations probably isn’t necessary. However, military care packages have to withstand rough treatment and temperature extremes. Taping thoroughly inside and out, helps keep the care package intact.