As pretty as they are delicious, Flourless Mocha Brownie Bites are fudgy little mounds of coffee accented brownie encased in a crisp chocolate coating. Sure to quench chocolate cravings, these brownie bites are gluten free and Passover appropriate.
This is my second post in a series of ultra chocolate baked treats all made with the same gluten free and kosher for Passover recipe.
The first post spread the batter into an 9″ x 9″ pan for Passover Chocolate Fudge Brownies.
This time, the brownie batter is portioned with a one tablespoon (small) scoop into the cups of a mini muffin pan.
I’ve made batches of these brownie bites using peanut butter and others using almond butter. The almond butter flavor is very mild, so I added espresso powder to the batter for a mocha flavored treat.
For Passover use, I covered the brownies with melted kosher for Passover chocolate bars. The melted dark chocolate is spooned over the mini brownies (bottom up).
When the coating has set, additional melted chocolate is piped on in flower petal loops. A chocolate covered espresso bean tops each brownie for a tiny caffeinated crunch.
Flourless Mocha Brownie Bites are similar in texture to a cake pop. The mini brownies are soft, moist, and fudgy.
Once they are covered in chocolate, the moisture is sealed in, keeping the brownies fresh for more than a week. They are great care package travelers in cool weather, are gobbled up quickly from Passover dessert trays, and are a delicious chocolate fix year round.
- 2 ¼ cups melting chocolate Semi sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar can be used.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat the cups of a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, chocolate, and nut butter at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir to combine. If not completely smooth, return to the microwave for 20 second intervals until completely melted.
- Add the sugar, eggs, cocoa, vanilla, and espresso powder and stir until smooth.
- Use a small (1 tablespoon) scoop to place one scoop of batter into each mini muffin cup in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of one brownie bite comes out dry. A few crumbs are fine. Allow to cool about 10 minutes in the pan. Use a knife tip around the edges of the mini muffins to loosen, then tip the muffins out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR TOPPING: In a microwave safe bowl, melt 2 cups of the melting chocolate at 50% power for 1½ minutes. Stir until completely smooth. Stir in 1 teaspoon of espresso powder.
- Place a wire rack of 12 brownie bites (bottoms facing up) on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Spoon the melted chocolate over the brownie bites to coat completely. Refrigerate about 5-10 minutes until the chocolate is set. Repeat with the remaining brownie bites.
- For the drizzle, place ¼ cup of melting chocolate in a disposable piping bag or zip lock bag. Microwave at 50% power until melted (about 1 minute). Cut off the bottom tip and pipe flower petal loops. As each flower is completed, place an espresso bean in the center of the flower using the melted chocolate as “glue”.
- When the drizzle has set completely, store the brownie bites at room temperature in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 10 days.