Conjure up the tropics year round with a batch of Coconut Milk Blondies. These caramel gold bars have a chewy texture with a touch of crunch from toffee bits.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Ever since I experimented with a Thai recipe for Coconut Milk Cookies, I have been hooked on baking with coconut milk. Though coconut milk adds only a light background coconut flavor, it creates a wonderful tender texture in baking.
I was wowed by the softness of Coconut Milk Chocolate Chip Pound Cake, and am equally delighted with these Coconut Blondies. In this recipe, brown sugar combined with coconut milk caramelizes while baking, providing a beautiful golden color, irresistible flavor, and traditional blondie chewiness.
This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, microwave coconut oil to melt. Mix in the coconut milk and brown sugar until combined. Stir in shredded sweetened coconut, vanilla, and coconut extract.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Fold in white chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- Spread the batter evenly into a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the topping coconut, toffee, and white chocolate and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container, with wax paper between layers, for up to 1 week.
More recipes with coconut milk
Coconut Milk Cookies are soft, tender cookies with a mild coconut flavor and cocoa nibs for crunch.
Coconut Milk Snack Cake will quickly become your favorite quick bake! The simple one layer cake is soft and delicious.
Coconut Milk Chocolate Chip Pound Cake is unlike any pound cake you’ve ever made, The crumb is light. The flavor is amazing and the chocolate chips are a perfect match to the coconut.
If you love homemade blondies, next time try Caramel Chocolate Chunk Blondies!
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup coconut milk canned
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- ⅔ cup white chocolate mini chips, or small white chocolate chunks I use Whole Foods 360 brand mini chips
- ⅔ cup toffee bits
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut sweetened
- 1 tablespoon toffee bits
- 1 tablespoon white chocolate mini chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line an 8”x8” square pan with parchment paper, including the sides as well as the bottom of the pan, leaving a parchment overhang.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, microwave coconut oil to melt.
- Mix in the coconut milk and brown sugar until combined. Stir in shredded sweetened coconut, vanilla, and coconut extract.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in white chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle coconut flakes, toffee, and white chocolate on top of the bars and bake an additional 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before transferring to a cutting board to cut into bars.
- Store blondies at room temperature in an airtight container, with wax paper between layers, for up to 1 week.
- For longer shipping times, don’t cut into individual bars. Wrap the entire 8”x 8” square in plastic wrap, then foil. Include a plastic knife in the package for slicing on arrival.
- To package individual coconut bars, place snuggly in an airtight plastic container, with wax paper between layers.
- Fill any empty space with wrinkled wax paper to prevent any movement in shipping.
- Wrap the closed container in plastic wrap or place in a large, freezer weight zip lock bag.
First Published: June 20, 2017. Last Updated: December 30, 2021. Updated for additional information and better reader experience.